This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company.
Pot pies are the ultimate comfort food, and this vegan recipe is full of familiar flavours. The flaky top crust hides a filling of vegan cream sauce, vegetables, and seasoned tofu.
Through the holidays and during cool weather is the perfect time to enjoy these vegan pot pies. Reheating is simple, making them an excellent meal to prepare ahead of time. Serve them as a plant-based holiday main or bring a serving to enjoy at those not so vegan-friendly holiday get-togethers. They’re a filling meal all by themselves so they can be a great stand alone vegan option.
This recipe makes 4-6 vegan pot pies. For a stand alone vegan meal make 4 servings, make 6 if there are other vegan options available.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Pot Pies
The vegan pot pie filling has all the classic ingredients. A flaky pastry top crust, a filling of vegetables (carrots, celery, Creamer potatoes, peas, and onion), and a broth and “cream” sauce.
Creamer potatoes are naturally small with thin skins and buttery texture making them ideal for pot pie fillings. You can use any Little potato varietal you like in this recipe (browse them all on their Products page). I chose the Terrific Trio blend, the combination of red, yellow, and blue Creamer potatoes in one bag offers plenty of variety. For recipes like this one, where you’re not using up a whole bag at once, you can mix and match the colours at every meal. I used the red ones for this recipe, leaving me with blue and yellow Creamers for another recipe!
Instead of chicken, pressed and seasoned tofu is pan-fried until crisp. After simmering in the creamy sauce, the texture of the tofu becomes soft, chewy, and a little meaty.
The sauce starts with vegan butter, vegetable broth and non-dairy milk thickened with flour. I recommend cashew milk for cooking because of its neutral flavour. If possible, choose “original” rather than “unsweetened” because the sugar content is similar to that of dairy milk.
Topping these vegan pot pies with individual-sized top crusts makes the pastry portion of this recipe quick and easy. Read our Flaky Vegan Pie Crust post for additional tips and tricks.
How to Make Vegan Pot Pies
Mix the cubed tofu with soy sauce and set it aside to marinate while you prepare the pastry dough. Chill the dough while you begin preparing the filling. Brown the marinated tofu in vegan butter and set it aside.
In the same pan, sweat the carrot, celery, onion and garlic in butter and then stir in the flour to make a roux. While you gradually add the milk and broth, stir constantly to make the sauce. Add the Little potatoes, cooked tofu, and seasonings, and simmer for 10 minutes.
While the filling simmers, divide and roll out the pastry. Finish the filling and divide it into ramekins and top with the pastry crust before baking.
Vegan Pot Pie Swaps and Customization
Swap the tofu for extra Little potatoes, vegetables, cooked green lentils, white beans, vegan “chicken”, or seitan.
Make 4 to 6 individual servings or a family size pot pie. For 4 meal-sized servings use 3/4 cup ramekins, for 6 smaller servings use 1/2 cup ramekins. For a family-sized pie, follow the recipe using 1 standard pie plate. Bake until the crust is golden brown.
Use store-bought vegan puff pastry or pie dough/crust to save time. You can even top your pot pies with upside down tart shells (but they won’t look as nice!) Be sure to check the ingredients or look for all-vegetable crusts.
Top your pot pies with fluffy vegan biscuits instead of pastry. Check out our biscuit-topped vegan pot pie recipe.
More Vegan Holiday Recipes
These festive recipes use The Little Potato Company’s pre-washed Creamer potatoes to make holiday cooking simple!
- Thanksgiving-Style Smashed Potatoes
- Roasted Vegan Thanksgiving Bowl
- Vegetable Pot Pie with Vegan Biscuits
- Vegan Holiday Shepherd’s Pie
- Vegan Potatoes au Gratin
- Sage and Garlic Roasted Roasted Veggies and Pecans
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company!
Check out their new fully-cooked and pre-seasoned Creamer potatoes, Easy Sides are available in 4 vegan flavours and crispy in 7 minutes! Head over to their website to learn more about What is a Creamer potato?, browse great vegan recipes, and use their store locator to find out where to buy them!Print
Pot pies are the ultimate comfort food, and this vegan recipe is full of familiar flavours. The flaky top crust hides a filling of vegan cream sauce, Creamer potatoes, vegetables, and seasoned tofu.
- 1 ⅓ cups (160 grams) all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup (115 grams) chilled vegetable shortening or vegan butter
- 2–3 tbsp (30 – 45 ml) ice water
Vegan Pot Pie Filling:
- 1/2 (350g/14-oz block) firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegan butter or vegetable oil, divided (plus extra for brushing)
- ⅔ cup (90 grams) chopped carrot (approx. 1 carrot)
- ⅓ cup (50 grams) chopped celery (approx. 1 rib)
- ½ cup (70 grams) chopped onion (approx. ½ onion)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (35 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 ¼ cup (310 ml) original non-dairy milk
- ¾ cup (125 grams) chopped Creamer potatoes (any variety by The Little Potato Company)
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) onion powder
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) dried thyme
- ¼ cup (50 grams) frozen peas
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Cut the chilled shortening into the flour using a pastry blender, until the fat is uniformly combined and the mixture begins to stick together.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of ice water and stir just enough for the mixture to form a dough. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- After chilling, cut the dough into 4 or 6 equal pieces. Form each piece into a round disk. On a floured surface, roll each piece of dough out into a roughly circular shape, slightly larger than your ramekins. Cut off any excess to make a round.
Vegan Pot Pie Filling and Assembly:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Mix cubed tofu and soy sauce together. In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add cubed tofu/soy sauce and cook, stirring and turning often until browned on all sides. Remove tofu from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tbsp of vegan butter over medium heat. Once it begins to sizzle, add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Gradually add vegetable broth and non-dairy milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Add the Little potatoes, tofu, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme. Simmer for 10 minutes. Begin rolling out the pie dough while the filling simmers.
- Stir in the frozen peas and white wine vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Divide filling into 6 (½ cup / 125 ml capacity) ramekins. Top with pie crust, folding the crust over the edges of the ramekin. Brush with melted vegan butter or non-dairy milk. Poke a few holes in the crust to allow steam to escape.
Pot pies last up to 4 days in the fridge.
Reheating: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Tip: To make larger meal-sized pot pies, use 4 (¾ cup / 175 ml capacity) ramekins. Prepare in a standard pie plate for a family-size pot pie.
Keywords: vegan pot pies, vegan pot pie recipe