Rich, spicy, heart-warming vegan molasses cookies. Mmm… These gems are brimming with ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, and the robust flavour of molasses. They’re soft, chewy, and oh-so comforting.
I used dark brown sugar and blackstrap molasses for the deepest molasses flavour. If you prefer something milder I’d suggest subbing in use fancy molasses and light brown sugar.
You can roll your cookies in raw sugar, sanding sugar, or even just regular granulated sugar for a touch of holiday sparkle. Next time, if I used raw sugar again, I’d just press the tops in the sugar instead of rolling them – the large sugar granules are pretty crunchy.
Red Path is my go-to brand for most sugars. They’ve got plain ol’ white sugar, plus golden yellow, dark brown, and demerara style sugar. For rolling I used Sugar in the Raw (not Red Path.)
Looking for more vegan cookie recipes? We’ve got iced gingerbread cookies (a reader favourite!), coconut macaroon thumbrints, banana chocolate chip superfood cookies, and peanut butter oatmeal cookies.
VEGAN MOFO 2016 UPDATE:
It’s day 10 of VeganMofo! The challenge is to talk about vegan food, as much as possible, for the entire month of November. I’m shooting for 5 days a week. For the rest of the month, the posting schedule will (hopefully!) be Sunday-Thursday. JSYK: I’m not really following the 2016 Vegan Mofo Themes and Prompts, but I am using them as inspiration when needed!
Here are the posts so far:
Day 1: Easy Vegan Tofu & Black Bean Enchiladas
Day 2: How to Make the Best Vegan Grilled Cheese
Day 3: Review: Vegan Pantry Haul from iHerb
Day 4: Vegetable Pot Pie with Vegan Biscuits
Day 6: Vegan Caffé Mocha
Day 7: Tempeh Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato Sandwich
Day 8: Chickpea & Lentil Coconut Curry
Day 9: Vegan Jackfruit + Mushroom Gyros with Tzatziki
Day 10: Vegan Molasses Cookies
Rich and spicy vegan cookies brimming with deep molasses flavour.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup blackstrap or fancy molasses
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- raw sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom. Mix well.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, molasses and vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pour raw sugar into a bowl for rolling.
- Scoop cookie dough by the heaping tablespoon and roll into balls. Roll or press dough in raw sugar. Gently press each dough ball to flatten slightly. Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving at least 1 1/2″ between cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are cracked, puffy, and the edges appear cooked. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cool store in a sealed container.
For best results, make sure to measure your flour accurately! How to Measure Flour.