When it comes to dinner, stir-fry is a staple in our house. I know I'm in need of a good rest when I start making stir-fry for dinner every night, but it's just the perfect healthy lazy-night meal! This Teriyaki Peanut Tofu with Stir-Fried Veggies & Brown Rice is a new favourite!
The night before I go for my weekly grocery store trip we usually like to make a huge, veggie-packed stir-fry. It's a great way to use up everything in my vegetable crisper to make room for lots of fresh new produce.
This teriyaki peanut tofu stir-fry is a new recipe I've been keeping in rotation lately. It's a nice change from my usual go-to which is generally one variation or another of my Baked Sriracha & Soy Sauce Tofu + stir-fried veggies + brown rice or quinoa.
William and I have both been loving this dish. The spicy-sweet peanut-y sauce is super flavourful and seriously satisfying when paired with pan-fried tofu.
Pair the zippy peanut tofu with some steamed brown rice and whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. You'll end up with the perfect, easy mid-week meal that's still exciting and delicious!
Another great thing about this recipe? There's no need to press your tofu before getting started! Just a quick pan-fry until the tofu is a perfect crispy golden-brown.
When it comes to lazy dinners, less work is a very very good thing.
With just 6 ingredients, the teriyaki peanut sauce is an absolute breeze to throw together. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, throw in the crispy golden tofu and let it sit while you begin stir-frying your veggies.
Once your veggies are perfectly tender-crisp, add a couple of dashes of soy sauce and set them aside. Go light on the soy sauce, you want to add a little flavour while still leaving some room to pour a little (or a lot!) of that magical teriyaki peanut sauce over the whole dish to serve.
Reheat your wok and add the entire bowl of crispy tofu + teriyaki peanut sauce. Stir constantly because it thickens up fast!
Now doesn't that look absolutely heavenly? There's just something about that crispy-saucy tofu thing.
If you like this recipe, scroll on past the recipe for some more peanut sauce and stir-fry recipes you might like!Print
Teriyaki peanut tofu served with stir-fried veggies and brown rice. Pair the zippy peanut tofu with some steamed brown rice and whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. You'll end the perfect easy mid-week meal that's still exciting and delicious!
Brown Rice Base
- 3 cups (750ml) cooked brown rice (1 cup - 250ml brown rice + 2.5 cups - 625ml vegetable broth)
- 1 tbsp (15ml) sesame oil or coconut oil
- 3 cups (750ml) broccoli florets
- 2 cups (500ml) zucchini, quartered and cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 cups (500ml) white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup (250ml) carrots, sliced diagonally
- ½ red pepper, sliced
Teriyaki Peanut Tofu
- 1 block (350g) firm or extra-firm tofu, cubed
- ½ tbsp (7.5ml) sesame oil or coconut oil
Teriyaki Peanut Sauce
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 2 tbsp (30ml) chile garlic sauce or sriracha (or a mix of the two)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15ml) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) peanut butter
- 2 tbsp (30ml) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) sesame seeds (optional)
- water to thin the sauce
Preparing the brown rice
- Bring 2.5 cups of vegetable stock to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Add 1 cup of brown rice, turn the heat down to low, cover and cook for 55 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
Preparing the Teriyaki Peanut Sauce
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients.
- After you've mixed all of the ingredients together, taste the sauce and feel free to customize it to your liking. Add more sriracha and/or chile garlic sauce for more heat, or add more brown sugar for sweetness. If you're a peanut butter lover you can double the amount used in this recipe.
Pan-frying the tofu
- Heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil or coconut oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Arrange your cubed tofu in the wok. Cook until golden-brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Flip each piece and brown the other side, cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Once the tofu is cooked, pour it into the prepared teriyaki sauce and let it sit until you've cooked your vegetables.
Stir-frying the vegetables
- Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the broccoli florets, toss, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the zucchini and carrot, toss, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the mushroom and red pepper, toss, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the broccoli is tender yet crisp.
- Add a few dashes of soy sauce and toss to coat. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
Finishing the Teriyaki Peanut Tofu
- Reheat your wok or skillet and pour the tofu and sauce mixture into the hot pan.
- The sauce should bubble and thicken, stir constantly to prevent the sauce from burning.
- Once the sauce is thick (about 1-1.5 minutes) remove from heat.
- Serve the ¼ of the vegetables and ¼ of the tofu on a bed of brown rice (about ¾ cup).
Love this peanut sauce? Check out our other peanut sauce recipes! Vegan Rice Paper Rolls with Sriracha & Soy Sauce Tofu (served with sweet and spicy peanut sauce) and our Warm Sweet Potato & Quinoa Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce.