Working as a brand ambassador for The Little Potato Company these last few months has been such a great opportunity to play around with a humble ingredient! Prior to this partnership, I hadn’t been employing potatoes into my cooking nearly enough. Potatoes are such a versatile, nutritious, and affordable vegan staple. I’m ashamed to think of all the great recipes I’d have missed out on had I not got this awesome opportunity to work with such an awesome brand. Little Potato Company, I love you!
Kind of like Creamer potatoes, curry dishes are another one of those things I needed a bit of a push to start using regularly in my cooking. Before going vegan, I could probably count on 1 hand the amount of times I’d prepared or even eaten any curry dishes. Stir-fries were my go-to healthy veggie-packed meal.
Not long before going vegan, I started my tumblr blog, Garden of Vegan (you can pretty much see my entire “vegan food journey” documented from day one over there!). Suddenly I started getting all these curry related messages: Do I ever eat curry? Do I have any curry recipes? and of course, plenty of suggestions for actually making curries. It was pretty obvious, I needed to get on the curry train ASAP. So I did! William and I have adopted all sorts of curry dishes as staples in our diet since then. Now we’ve got 1, 2, 3, and now today, 4 curry recipes on the blog (check them out at the bottom of the post!) It’s funny to think that I may have missed out on all the curry fun if it hadn’t been for my fantastic readers over on Garden of Vegan. Thank goodness for helpful suggestions from the internet!
Today, two of my more recent food loves come together to create a simple, nutritious main dish that’s downright heavenly. I’m so excited to share this one with you guys!
This recipe features The Little Potato Company’s Oven | BBQ Ready Kits. Have you heard of them? They’re absolutely AWESOME! They’re available in 3 flavours:
- Onion Medley: yellow potatoes roasted with a bold medley of sweet and tangy onions, chives and aromatic spices.
- Garlic Herb: the perfect blend of sweet roasted garlic, onions and fragrant rustic herbs roasted on mixed red and yellow potatoes.
- Barbecue Blend: red potatoes roasted with a hickory smoked, BBQ flavour combining onions, garlic and a rich medley of herbs.
Today I’m using the Barbeque Blend and adding a kick of curry goodness with some yellow curry powder. MmMmm… This is a match made in heaven. These Oven | BBQ Ready Kits are so easy to prepare! Just add a little olive oil, mix in the seasoning package, and bake or barbeque them for a deliciously simple vegan summer side dish. They’re super versatile and perfect all by themselves or to include in all sorts of recipes, like this Veggie Lentil Curry!
This main dish is packed with veggies: zucchini, carrots, kale, tomatoes, red onion, mushrooms, red bell pepper, and of course, Creamer potatoes (potatoes are vegetables too, you know!) It’s basically a 1 pot meal that’s ready in under an hour (45-50 minutes if you’re organized!)
This recipe makes about 8 servings, so feel free to halve the recipe if you need to. It makes awesome leftovers so it would be perfect to prepare one weekend and eat throughout the week. Enjoy!
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes SO much at www.littlepotatoes.com
PS: If you’re in the US, these Ready Meal kits are called Oven | Grill ready kits. Look for them next time you’re out grocery shopping!Print
A simple, hearty vegan curry that’s loaded with veggies and lentils. Serves 8 people. Feel free to halve the recipe.
Curry Roasted Potatoes
- 1 package The Little Potato Company’s Barbeque Blend BBQ/Oven Ready Meal Packs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mild yellow curry powder
Veggie Lentil Curry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, quartered and chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup kale (packed), destemmed and chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ cups dry red lentils, rinsed
- 2 ½ tbsp mild yellow curry powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
Curry Roasted Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Open 1 package of The Little Potato Company’s BBQ/Oven Ready Meal Packs in Barbeque Blend. Cut potatoes in ½.
- Mix in 2 tbsp olive oil, Barbeque Blend seasoning pack, and 1 tbsp mild yellow curry powder. Bake for 20 minutes, stir, and bake for another 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender when poked with a fork.
Veggie Lentil Curry
- Wash, chop and prepare all ingredients.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high.
- Add the garlic, onion, zucchini, carrots, kale, red bell pepper, red lentils, curry powder, cumin, paprika, turmeric, and salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, canned tomatoes (undrained), and vegetable stock. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cover, stir, and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the cooked Curry Roasted Potatoes and simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve over a bed of rice.
This dish is especially good prepared ahead of time and reheated to serve the next day.If you don’t have access to The Little Potato Company’s Oven | BBQ Ready Kits, simply substitute 1lb of Creamer potatoes with 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp sriracha and a pinch of salt.
More Curry Recipes on I Love Vegan: