June is here! Summer is on its way and asparagus season is in full swing. Simple sautéed asparagus side dishes are one of my staples this time of year. A little lemon juice, salt and pepper is my go-to summer vegetable dish. Asparagus season is one of my favourite times of year!
Last weekend my mom stopped by for a visit, and she was kind enough to bring me a GIGANTIC bag of asparagus from Creston, BC.
Armed with more asparagus than I know what to do with, I decided on a creamy puréed potato-asparagus soup for this month’s Little Potato Company recipe. I usually prefer chunky soups with plenty of textures but for simplicity’s sake I decided to go with a puréed soup for this recipe. One taste of this soup and I was pretty sure The Little Potato Company’s Creamer potatoes were made specifically for silky puréed potato soups. This is the velvetiest soup I’ve ever eaten!
This soup is so simple and easy to make. Sauté, simmer, and purée, that’s it! It looks really sophisticated and fancy topped with a drizzle of coconut cream, a delicately flavoured vegetable oil, and fresh cracked pepper. This is the perfect no-fuss lunch for summer guests!
Just serve this soup alongside a nice loaf of bread. I happened to have a chewy ciabatta on hand but a nice crusty loaf would be oh so good! Vegan butter is optional but definitely recommended!
A final note – I’m excited to offer my awesome blog readers another chance to win a 1 month supply of Little Potatoes from The Little Potato Company! It’s super simple to enter, just leave a comment telling me which classic potato dish you’d love to see veganized (or just tell me a little bit about why you love potatoes!) You can earn extra entries by following me and The Little Potato Company on Instagram! Just use the Rafflecopter widget below to get your entries counted. Contest open to US and Canadian residents – ends J
une 19th at 11:59PM EST Edit: Giveaway extended until June 22nd at 11:59PM EST. Good luck and thanks for entering!
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes SO much at www.littlepotatoes.com
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (or olive/coconut/canola oil)
- ½ cup (1/2 small) red onion, chopped
- ½ cup (1 rib) celery, chopped
- ½ cup (1 small) carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 3 cups (1/2 1.5lb bag) The Little Potato Company's Blushing Belles
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ¼-1/3 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk
- Heat butter or oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, asparagus, potatoes, and salt. Sauté, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables, stir, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and turn heat up to medium-high. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender when poked with a fork.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup. Add the vegan cheese and nutritional yeast. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in the unsweetened almond or soy milk.
- To serve, top with a drizzle of coconut milk, avocado (or olive) oil, and cracked pepper. Serve with crusty bread spread with vegan butter.