Have you heard of creamer potatoes?
I hadn’t! Not until recently when I was introduced to The Little Potato Company. They’re a really wonderful family-owned Canadian business and as you might have guessed, they specialize in potatoes! Specifically, the teeny tiny creamer variety of potatoes.
So what are creamer potatoes anyways?
They’re the littlest (and tastiest!) variety of premium potatoes. They’re nutritious, flavourful, and thin skinned. The Little Potato Company are creamer potato experts!
After learning a little more about the family and practices behind The Little Potato Company, I was struck by a few key things that I thought were unique and resonated with me:
- they are extremely passionate about what they do and they’re true to their values
- they donate over 2,000 lbs of potatoes to food banks in Canada every single month
- they recognize the value and efficiency of plant crops (like the potato!) to sustain the environment and feed the world
- they’re killing the carbohydrate myth (and vegans LOVE their carbs!)
- they own the exclusive rights to 6 delicious varieties of Creamers
- in addition to their bags of Creamers, they also offer Ready Kits for delicious quick and easy potato side dishes (check them out at the bottom of this post!)
After excitedly applying to be part of this campaign a few of weeks ago, I received a big ol’ parcel full of The Little Potato Company’s creamer potatoes. I was sent 2 bags of Fingerlings and 2 bags of Baby Boomers. Wow, was I ever excited to get to work experimenting with these adorable little guys!
First, I sliced up a few Fingerlings and tossed them into this tofu & vegetable noodle soup that I was having for lunch. This was my first time sampling creamer potatoes and I was blown away! They weren’t mealy AT ALL, they really were creamy.
Now it was time to get serious, what kind of recipe was I going to make for this post?
I knew exactly what I wanted this recipe to accomplish:
- highlight the creamer potato’s small size
- take advantage of the delicious thin skins
- create something that’s simple, quick, and easy
- make it colourful, attractive and appetizing
I decided to use the Fingerlings to make mini baked potatoes in two different delicious varieties: Tex-Mex and “Loaded Baked Potato”.
I learned 2 valuable lessons while working on this recipe: Fingerlings are PERFECT for mini baked potatoes (they’re like teeny tiny russets but 10x tastier!) AND mini baked potatoes are infinitely better than regular baked potatoes.
Seriously, everything that has EVER sucked about eating a regular baked potato is 100% taken care of in this recipe:
- no need to saw through tough potato skin
- no need to slather butter all over your potato to ensure it’s not dry
- no wonky potato to topping ratios
Every one of these little potato bites has tender, flavourful seasoned skins, the perfect ratio of toppings to potato, and they’re creamy and moist throughout the whole potato (with or without a tiny pat of vegan butter!)
These two bite baked potatoes are delicious little parcels just bursting with flavours!
The delicate Fingerlings are baked until the seasoned skin is lightly crisp and the center is soft and fluffy. Each potato is scored and lightly pinched to puff out the filling. Then, each one is topped with a smidgen of vegan butter and pinch of vegan cheese. They’re broiled until hot and bubbly. MMMmmm…
Feel free to top these with whatever your heart desires, but I decided to go with these 2 flavour options:
Tex-Mex – a sprinkle of ground chipotle or chili powder, a dollop of guacamole, a dab of sriracha or spicy taco sauce, and a sprinkle of chopped chives or green onions.
“Loaded Baked Potato”: a teeny dollop of vegan mayo or sour cream, a heavy sprinkle of fresh chives and dill, and cracked pepper.
Other other tasty topping options: salsa, hummus, crumbled tempeh bacon, leftover chili, and vegan parmesan.
These delicious Two-Bite Baked Potatoes would make a fun and unexpected appetizer at holiday parties. They also make a quick and easy finger-food dinner!
These little guys are quick to throw together (ready in 35 minutes or less) and they only require 8 ingredients (without extra toppings.)
- 18-24 The Little Potato Company's yellow-fleshed fingerling potatoes (1 1.5 lb bag)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- ½ cup vegan shredded cheese
- (Optional) For Tex-Mex potatoes: a sprinkle of chipotle or chili powder
- chives or green onions
- vegan mayo or sour cream
- fresh dill
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prick each potato with a fork 2-3 times. (Don't worry about washing these guys, it's already been done for you!)
- Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- Toss the hot potatoes in olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bake for 8 minutes before flipping and then bake for an addition 5- 10 minutes. Poke them with a knife to check if they're tender.
- Once they're cooked, let them sit for 5-10 minutes until they're just cool enough to handle. Deeply score each potato both lengthwise and width wise.
- Using your index fingers and thumbs, gently pinch and push the corners of each potato inwards to mash and fluff the cooked centers out of the potato. (Refer to the 4th set of pictures for a visual reference)
- Drop a pat of vegan butter into the center of each potato followed by a big pinch of vegan cheese.
- Place under the broiler just long enough for the cheese to melt and bubble.
- For Tex-Mex potatoes: Top with a dollop of guacamole, a little drizzle of sriracha or taco sauce, and a sprinkle of chives or green onions.
- For "Loaded Baked Potatoes": Top with a teeny dollop of vegan mayo or sour cream, a sprinkle of dill and chives, and black pepper.
Convenient Sides from The Little Potato Company
While this recipe is certainly simple, sometimes we all need something even easier. You know, something healthy that can be prepared on auto-pilot when cooking is the LAST thing you want to be doing.
Good news! The Little Potato Company has got you covered with their Microwave Ready Kits! They’re ready in less than 8 minutes and are available in 3 tasty flavours: Savoury Herb, Zesty Italian, and Garlic And Parsley.
They also offer Oven | BBQ Ready Kits in Onion Medley, Garlic Herb, and BBQ Blend – ready in 30 minutes.
You can read more of The Little Potato Company’s fascinating story and learn more about their many varieties of potatoes and products on their website. Join their Creamer Club for monthly recipes and chances to win!
Disclosure: This recipe was developed using samples from the brand. All opinions are my own. I was given this opportunity thanks to a collaboration between The Little Potato Company and Food Bloggers of Canada.