Last month I introduced you to The Little Potato Company’s Oven | BBQ Ready Kits in my recipe: Potato Veggie Lentil Curry. Their Creamer potatoes make great side dishes for simple, healthy dinners, leftovers can be a nutritious addition to vegan lunch bowls, and they’re perfect for summer barbeques!
Since the beginning of August I’ve been a little stressed with how fast summer seems to be passing by. How is it that my inner calendar seems to jump from “July” straight to “almost September”? But I’m trying really hard not to let the whole “passing of time” thing get me down. I’ve enjoyed my summer so far! I love how it stays light late into the evening so I don’t feel guilty for sleeping into the afternoon, how I can snap pictures of late dinners in natural light, and how I don’t need to bundle up just to run to the grocery store. Summer just feels good, you know?
If you’re also suffering from a summer that seems to be slipping by far too quickly, I highly recommend enjoying a warm weather barbeque to take the edge off. Delicious food is my favourite remedy for everything. Luckily we’ve got a number of vegan, BBQ-friendly recipes that are sure to help you celebrate these last weeks of summer:
Vegan Rainbow Potato Salad – A colourful, crunchy classic potato salad everyone will love.
Chipotle Maple Glazed Tofu Burgers – Easy and delicious tofu patties to load up with lettuce, tomato, red onion, sriracha mayo and heaps of guacamole!
Two-Bite Baked Potatoes or Spicy Nacho Potato Bites – Perfect bite-sized appetizers!
Vegan 7 Layer Dip – Serve with tortilla chips for a simple snack or appetizer.
And now you can add these glazed Grilled Veggie Skewers to the list too! These colourful kebabs are packed full of vegetables: multi-coloured bell peppers, purple onion, zucchini, mushrooms, roasted Garlic Herb Little Potatoes, and marinated tofu cubes, all slathered in a sweet maple BBQ glaze. Mmmm…
The Little Potato Company’s Garlic Herb (or Barbeque blend, I tested this recipe using both and loved them equally!) Oven | BBQ Kits are so perfect for this recipe! Simply follow the package instructions, mixing in the seasoning and a little olive oil, and bake alongside the marinated tofu. The combination of roasted Creamer potatoes and marinated tofu adds hearty sustenance to this veggie-loaded dish and helps to anchor each ingredient firmly onto the skewers.
This dish can be served a number of ways: on the skewer for an easy finger-food appetizer, as a tasty side next to a veggie burger, or on a bed of rice, quinoa, or couscous for an easy entrée!
Feel free to customize these kebabs to your liking. For my tastes I like loading mine with tons of zucchini, mushrooms, tofu, and Creamer potatoes, and going easy on the bell peppers and onions. You can play around with the glaze to make it sweeter, spicier, or smokier. I don’t have a barbeque or outdoor grill so I used a combination of the oven and my George Foreman grill to create this recipe. You shouldn’t have any trouble adapting the recipe to be cooked solely in your barbeque or oven if need be.
Now get out there, make the most of the rest of these glorious summer months, and enjoy some vegan BBQ!
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes SO much at www.littlepotatoes.com
PS: If you’re in the US, these Ready Meal kits are called Oven | Grill ready kits. Look for them next time you’re out grocery shopping!
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- pinch garlic powder
- ½ package The Little Potato Company's Oven | BBQ Ready Kits in Garlic or BBQ Blend
- 1 454g package of extra-firm pressed tofu
- 1 small zucchini chopped into large chunks
- 1 large bell pepper cut into large chunks (I used a mix of red, green and yellow for extra colour)
- 4-5 large mushrooms cut into extra-large chunks (leave small mushrooms whole)
- ¼ red onion cut into large chunks
- Mix together marinade ingredients. Chop tofu into large ¾" -1" cubes. Marinate the tofu for 1-2 hours. After marinating, preheat your oven to 450F.
- Prepare your choice of The Little Potato Company's Oven | BBQ Ready Kits according to the package instructions. Place the foil tray on a large baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, move the tray of potatoes to one side of the baking tray. Line the other side of the baking tray with parchment paper and arrange the marinated tofu cubes. Reserve any excess marinade. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the tofu and stir the potatoes before baking for another 10 minutes.
- While the tofu and potatoes bake, heat the remaining marinade in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer gently for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Spray or brush preheated grill with a light coat of oil. Lightly precook the vegetables for about 5 minutes until just barely tender. Season with a light sprinkle of salt during cooking.
- Beginning and ending with a piece of tofu or potato (this will prevent veggies from slipping off the skewers), alternate skewering a variety of veggies, tofu, and potatoes, making sure to have an equal amount of each food per skewer.
- Brush assembled skewers with glaze and grill until veggies are tender. Pour any remaining glaze over skewers and serve.