Hi!! I’m pleased to report that as of today I am very nearly over the worst cold of my adult life. Nothing like complete physical breakdown to make you appreciate every day life! It’s a good thing chickpea salad sandwiches happened to be next up on the editorial calender cause this might be the only food I could’ve handled recipe testing and eating throughout my sick days.
Today’s recipe is like the ultra “egg” salad version of chickpea salad sandwiches. My original version was this veggie-filled variation that used half red lentils and half chickpeas for the base. That recipe has become one of our most popular recipes and it happened to win the Canadian Lentils Recipe Revelations Contest last year. I’ve made that version time and time again (admittedly I usually use 100% chickpeas for the base cause if I’m opening a whole can I figure I may as well use it. As easy as red lentils are to cook, opening 1 can of chickpeas is just easier. Ya know?)
After 14+ months of eating lots of chickpea salad sandwiches I’ve now tried a ton of variations. I switch up the veggies, sometimes I use half hummus/half vegan mayo, and occasionally I like to add a good dash of curry powder. The biggest difference between today’s version of this recipe and my original version is in the chickpeas. Since canned chickpeas can be a little too firm and dry I’ve started microwaving them with the juice from the can plus some chopped garlic, onion + garlic powder, and salt for flavour. After microwaving for 10 minutes, just chill and drain and these chickpeas are soft, ultra-flavourful, and ready to be mashed!
Combine the mashed chickpeas, chopped veggies, vegan mayo, lemon juice, turmeric, bread crumbs, black pepper, (and sriracha and paprika – not pictured thanks to my cold medicated brain, sorry!) Mix well, pop in the fridge to chill so the bread crumbs can equalize with the moisture of the salad. The bread crumbs might seem like a strange addition but they give this salad a thick and hearty consistency that won’t squish out of your sandwiches.
For optimal “egg-y” flavour, swap the regular salt for “Kala Namak” aka black salt. Black salt has a light sulphurous flavour that adds delicious “egg-iness” to vegan quiches, tofu scrambles, and salad sandwiches! If you’re vegan or egg-free make sure to keep an eye out for some cause it is a great pantry staple!
- 1 540 ml/19 fl. oz. can chickpeas + juice from can
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced or roughly chopped
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp baby dill, finely chopped
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- ½ tsp sriracha
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- black pepper, to taste
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 can of chickpeas + juice from can, chopped garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Microwave for 10 minutes. Chill.
- After chilling, drain and if desired, pick out any obvious garlic bits (if you love garlic, feel free to leave it in there!)
- In a food processor, pulse chickpeas until about ⅓ of the mixture is chunky and about ⅓ is really smooth (the remaining ⅓ should be somewhere in between.) For the perfect texture, allow the processor to unevenly break down the chickpeas - do not mix or scrape the sides of your processor while you process the chickpeas.
- In a bowl, combine the mashed chickpeas, celery, green onion, pickles, dill, lemon juice, vegan mayo, sriracha, turmeric, paprika, breadcrumbs and black pepper. Chill for 10 minutes before assembling your sandwiches. I recommend putting approx. ⅓ cup filling per sandwich.