Layers of cheesy vegan béchamel sauce, thin sliced Creamer potatoes, and sliced broccoli florets, all topped off with a toasty, herb and garlic bread crumb topping. Bake and Serve.
December’s a pretty good month for casseroles, isn’t it?
While casseroles were a big part of my childhood, they’re not something I make very often these days. But with my head occupied with the flavours of Christmas, I started thinking about holiday entertaining, and the practicalities of it all. Aren’t casseroles kind of a lifesaver this time of year? I mean, they’re perfect for taking to holiday potlucks and family get-togethers: they serve plenty of people but they’re SO easy to prep ahead of time. Win-win!
This cheesy potato and broccoli casserole is loosely inspired by classic scalloped potatoes. For the base, I went with a veganized “cheesy” béchamel sauce, just a simple roux, onion and garlic, vegetable broth, unsweetened non-dairy milk, and plenty of nooch. If you prefer things a little cheesier, just stir in some mozzarella or cheddar-style Daiya shreds. This creamy cheesy vegan sauce is perfect for mac & cheese, pasta, soups, steamed vegetables, and of course, this cheesy potato & broccoli casserole!
This casserole is perfect for your average week-night winter meal, or as vegan-friendly side for all of your holiday dining needs! Happy holiday eating!
Looking to wow your friends and family with some delicious potato-ey goodness this month? Well, you’re in luck! In the spirit of holiday giving, we’re offering up a 1 month supply of Little Potatoes to one reader! All you’ve got to do is follow @ilovegan on Instagram and then like & comment on our instagram giveaway post.
Giveaway open to residents of US and Canada. Closes December 7th, 11:59PM EST. The winner will be announced publicly, on the instagram post, and contacted via direct message.
Good luck potato lovers!
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes SO much at www.littlepotatoes.com
- 2 tbsp vegan butter/margarine
- 2 tbsp unbleached flour
- ½ small red onion, cut finely
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used soy)
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ⅓ cup Daiya cheddar or mozzarella style shreds
- 1.5 lb bag of The Little Potato Company's Baby Boomers
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets, and sliced thin
- ½ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp melted vegan butter/margarine
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp oregano
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat 2 tbsp of vegan butter or margarine over medium-high heat. Add the chopped red onion and cook until translucent and tender. Whisk in the flour, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika, and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Very slowly whisk in the vegetable broth, followed by the unsweetened soy milk. Stir in the nutritional yeast and Daiya cheese (optional). Turn heat down to medium and simmer for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine bread crumbs, melted butter/margarine, garlic and onion powder, oregano, and a sprinkle of salt.
- Lightly grease a 9" pie plate with butter/margarine. Begin with 1 layer of thin sliced Creamer potatoes, slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with salt. Add a thin layer of sauce. Layer sliced broccoli florets, slightly over lapping. Sprinkle with salt. Add a thin layer of sauce. Repeat as many times as necessary (1-2 times). Be sure to salt each layer of raw potato or broccoli. Finish with a hefty layer of sauce. Top with seasoned bread crumbs.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover, and bake for another 10 minutes. If crumbs aren't toasted, set under broiler until just toasted. Do not burn.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.