Hands down this is the EASIEST (and most delicious) way to serve steamed broccoli. I promise.
It’s become one of my favourite vegetable side dishes to serve during Thanksgiving AND Christmas due to the minimal effort it takes to prepare it. It’s a simple but impressive side dish of lightly seasoned steamed broccoli spears topped with toasted almonds and garlic in a browned butter sauce. How lovely does that sound?
For a slightly different flavour I like to sub the sliced almonds for chopped cashews. Try it, it’s AMAZING.
This is a great side dish that’s easy to prepare for simple weeknight dinners all year round. Steamed broccoli has never been fancier!
Holiday Tip #6 –
In my last post, holiday tip #5 was for enjoying a lazy Christmas. Today, tip #6 is about layering some extra Christmas cheer on top of your normal activities: whether you’re working overtime cooking up Christmas dinner, baking festive desserts, or maybe you’re stuck commuting on Christmas Eve and you still want to make the best of things. Tip #6 is all about Christmas listening:
- As mentioned in my last post: Stuart McLean’s The Vinyl Cafe’s Christmas episodes
- Christmas music that even retail employees can handle:
- Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker soundtrack (specifically my favourite song, which I refer to as “my favourite”, as in, “William, can you put on my favourite?”, so I did have to ask what it’s actually called, and it turns out it’s “Trépak (Danse russe) or Candy Canes (Russian Dance)“. Beginning in December, this should be like every third song you listen to, okay?
- Music From The O.C.: Mix 3 – Have a Very Merry Chrismukkah
- “Winter” music:
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into spears
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp sliced almonds
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- lemon juice, to taste
- Sprinkle broccoli with a little salt and pepper and steam for 5 minutes or until tender. (Refer to notes if you don't have a steamer.) Sprinkle with a little bit of lemon juice and toss gently.
- In a small saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and almonds and cook until golden brown.
- To serve, arrange the broccoli spears in a serving dish. Spoon the browned almond-garlic butter evenly over the broccoli spears.