I can’t help but think that a nice bowl of warm comforting soup is exactly what everyone needs right now. Autumn seems to be the season for super hearty soups so today I’d like to celebrate with this creamy baked potato soup served with a crusty chunk of French bread and topped with all the essentials: vegan cheddar cheese, smoky tempeh bacon, chives, and pepper.
A bowl of homemade soup is like a warm hug from a good friend just when you need it. And let me tell you, right now I need it! This fall has been great in a lot of ways, for example, we just moved into our first home! Yay! Unfortunately stress, even the good kind, can make you juust vulnerable enough to catch a wicked flu before you even finish unpacking. Sometimes a delicious home cooked comfort food meal is the only thing that can help.
And we all know nothing says comfort food quite like potatoes, and to amp it up another notch, baked Creamer potatoes in the form of soup. MMmm…
Going along with the de-stressing theme, this month’s recipe for The Little Potato Company is niiice and simple. In fact, it’s simple enough that if you happen to have any little hands around, they can totally help make this recipe!
The Little Potato Company is looking to find Canada’s Next Little Chef. The top 10 entries have been chosen and now they need your help to narrow it down to 2 finalists who will participate in a television cook off on the Marilyn Dennis Show. Vote now for your chance to win a Prize Pack from The Little Potato Company! Learn more and find tips to help little ones get in the kitchen and make healthier choices by visiting LittlePotatoes.com!
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes SO much at www.littlepotatoes.com
Vegan Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This simple soup is creamy, delicious, and brimming with classic baked potato toppings like crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, chives, and black pepper. Enjoy with a crusty piece of bread spread with your favourite vegan butter. Serves 4.
Baked Creamer Potatoes
- 4 cups of The Little Potato Company's Little Reds (You can substitute with Blushing Belles, Baby Boomers, or Dynamic Duo Little Potatoes)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper (or more to taste)
Vegan Baked Potato Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4-5 slices of tempeh bacon (I used Turtle Island Foods's Maple Tempeh Bacon)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup shredded vegan cheddar (I used Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds)
- 2 Tbsp chives, chopped
- chives, chopped
- vegan cheddar, shredded
- tempeh bacon, crumbled or chopped
- black pepper (to taste)
- coconut milk (for drizzling)
- olive oil (for drizzling)
- Kid Friendly Step: Preheat oven to 400F. In a medium to large sized bowl, combine The Little Potato Company's Little Reds with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- (Note: No little helpers? You can halve the potatoes before baking them for faster cooking and an even more "baked" flavour.)
- Kid Friendly Step: Cover and baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the seasoned potatoes. Set a timer to bake for 15 minutes.
- Be careful removing the potatoes from the oven. Stir and flip the potatoes before baking for another 10-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when poked with a fork.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over med-high heat. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and chopped tempeh bacon. (Optional: Cook 2-4 full strips of tempeh bacon on the side to chop up for topping the soup after.) Cook until onion is translucent and tempeh is golden-brown.
- In a blender, combine the veggie broth, cooked potatoes (reserve about 1/4 of the potatoes if you prefer a chunkier textured soup), salt and the sautéed onion, garlic, and tempeh, Blitz on high until the soup is smooth. Pour back into your skillet or saucepan to reheat. If you reserved any baked potatoes for a chunkier texture, mash the with a fork, and add them to the soup along with the vegan cheddar, coconut milk, and chives. Heat over medium low until the cheese is melted..
- Kid Friendly Step: Garnish each bowl of soup with a drizzle of olive oil and coconut milk, plus 1-2 tbsp each of cheddar, chopped tempeh bacon, and chives. Accompany with fresh crusty bread spread with your favourite vegan butter (like Earth Balance Buttery Spread.)