Easy crispy fried egg-free potato pancakes.
- 2 cups packed, grated, and drained potato (half of a 1.5 lb bag of The Little Potato Company's Baby Boomers)
- 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sliced green onion
- 3 tbsp unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- black pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying (canola, olive, or coconut all work well)
- optional: 2 tbsp fresh, chopped dill
- optional: 1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds
- Grate potatoes and squeeze out as much moisture as you can using paper towel.
- Combine 2 cups grated potato, flour, green onion, almond milk, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and black pepper (optional: add dill and vegan cheese.) Mix well to develop the gluten in the flour (which helps with binding.)
- In a frying pan, preheat a generous amount of vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Spoon 1/4-1/3 cup of potato mixture into the pan. Use a spatula or pancake flipper to flatten the patty to about 1/4" thick. Fry until golden brown, flip, and fry the other side. Drain excess oil on paper towel if necessary.
- Serve with your favourite toppings (we used sliced green onion, tzatziki, and black pepper.)