Vegan deviled “egg” potatoes are a great plant-based alternative to deviled eggs. These light two-bite appetizers are easy to prepare and require just 7 ingredients (and your favourite garnishes!)
- 8 – 9 yellow Creamer potatoes (250 grams) (Boomer Gold by The Little Potato Company)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegan mayo
- 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) (2 grams) fine nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) finely ground black salt (kala namak)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Paprika, to taste
- Fresh chives, chopped, to taste
- Add yellow Creamer potatoes to a large pot of cold water. Turn heat to maximum and bring potatoes to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the largest potato is just tender. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle comfortably.
- Slice cooled potatoes in half lengthwise. Use a small melon baller to scoop out a round of the flesh, creating a hollow for the filling. Don’t worry if some of the hollowed potatoes break or look messy, you’ll only need 12 of the best looking ones. Reserve all of the “potato balls” and set them aside for the filling (about 90 grams total).
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together mayo, nutritional yeast, mustard, vinegar, black salt, and turmeric.
- For best texture, use a spoon to mash the reserved potato flesh through a fine mesh strainer. Add the mashed potato to the dressing from step 3. Mix well to combine. Taste the filling and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Transfer the filling into a piping bag fitted with a large round or star tip (or use a zip-loc bag with the tip of the corner cut off). Pipe the filling into 12 of the best looking hollowed out potatoes, overfilling them for best flavour.
- Garnish deviled potatoes with paprika and fresh chives. Chill before serving. Serve cool.
Prep ahead of time – Once you’ve prepared everything it only takes a few minutes to fill and garnish your deviled potatoes. Load your piping bag and prepare any garnishes ahead of time but wait until it’s time to serve before assembling.
More garnish ideas: Fresh herbs (dill, parsley, chives), crumbled tempeh bacon, cayenne, Tabasco, sriracha.
Keywords: vegan deviled egg potatoes