This vegan cream of potato soup is hearty and satisfying. It’s everything a great bowl of cream of potato soup should be, vegan or not! Its simplicity lets the flavour and velvety texture of Creamer potatoes shine.
- 2/3 cup (100 grams) raw cashews (plus boiling water for soaking)
- 1 1/3 cups (330 ml) water
- 1.5 lbs (680 grams) Blushing Belle or Boomer Gold Little Potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (or any neutral tasting vegetable oil)
- 1 cup (120 grams) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) chopped celery
- 3/4 tsp (3.75 ml) salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (17 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 ml) vegetable broth
- 2 tsp (10 ml) white wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, cover cashews with boiling water and set aside to soften.
- Add Creamer potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer potatoes for 15 minutes, or until they’re just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add drained cashews and water to a high-speed blender and blend until creamy. Add ¼ to ⅓ of the boiled Creamer potatoes (depending on your desired consistency) and blend. Avoid over blending.
- When the remaining potatoes are just cool enough to handle, chop them into eighths or quarters.
- In the same pot used to boil the potatoes, add vegan butter, onions, carrots, celery, and salt. Cover and cook over low heat until tender. Do not brown. Add garlic, cover, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the vegetable broth, stirring as you go to prevent lumps.
- Stir in the blended cashew/potato mixture. Add the chopped potatoes and white wine vinegar. Cook on medium-low for 5 minutes. If desired, adjust consistency with water or vegetable broth. Adjust seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and white wine vinegar to taste.
Keywords: vegan cream of potato soup, vegan potato soup, vegan potato chowder