A delicious, creamy vegan basil pesto. Nutritional yeast and white miso mimic the salty, cheesy flavour of Parmesan while cashews + hemp seeds replace the typically expensive pine nuts.
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp shiro (white) miso
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp hulled hemp seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp water
- In a food processor, pulse basil, cashews, garlic, and salt, until cashews are finely chopped and evenly textured.
- Add the miso, nutritional yeast, and hemp seeds. Pulse until combined.
- While the processor is running, very slowly pour in the olive oil, followed by the water.
- To prevent oxidation, spoon pesto into a small jar and top with a thin layer of olive oil. As you use the pesto you can stir the oil in, or discard/reserve for later.