This vegan banana bread is moist, lightly spiced, and perfectly sweet. Just 15 minutes of preparation, 1 bowl, and no fancy ingredients necessary!
- 1 ½ cups (365 g) mashed overripe banana (approx. 3 large bananas)
- ¾ cup (175 ml) (150 g) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used oat)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) (10 g) ground flax seed
- 2 tsp (10 ml) white vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 ¾ cup (210 g) all purpose flour *see recipe notes
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ cup (90 g) mini dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
- ½–1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. After that, there’s no need to wait for your oven to preheat fully before moving on to steps 2 and 3.
- Use a fork to mash the over ripe bananas. Don’t worry about thoroughly mashing them, it’s okay if there are still chunks of banana.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed banana, sugar, canola oil, non-dairy milk, ground flax seeds, vinegar, and vanilla. Then, let the mixture sit until the oven is preheated.
- In the same bowl, use a whisk to mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Optional: Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the loaf is a deep golden-brown colour and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. After that remove the vegan banana bread from the pan and cool on a cooling rack. When the loaf is just barely warm, seal it up in a container, food storage bag, or plastic wrap for a couple of hours or until the crust becomes soft and moist.
- Wait until completely cool before slicing and serving with vegan butter.
- Store in a sealed container or food storage bag for 5 days. Do not refrigerate.
If measuring flour by volume, use the “fluff, spoon, level” method and reduce flour by 2 tbsp for a total of 1½ cups + 2 tbsp.
Freezer-friendly. Thaw at room temperature.
If needed, refer to blog post for more recipes notes.
Keywords: vegan banana bread