Clockwise from left: Marinated Smoky Maple Tofu,
Salt & Pepper Tofu, Soy Sauce Tofu, and Baked Marinated Tofu.
This is my personal favourite way to prepare tofu. It’s faster than baking tofu and you don’t need to marinate it for a flavourful outcome. Sautéing tends to result in a crispier outside. Here are directions for sauteing your tofu in 3 different ways: marinated, with a little salt and pepper, or with soy sauce.
What You’ll Need
- 1 block of tofu, drained, and cut up (and if desired, marinated with excess marinade blotted off)
- a large skillet
- a large flipper or pair of tongs
- 2 tsp of canola oil
- optional: salt, pepper, soy sauce
- In your skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Once your oil is hot, layer your tofu evenly into the pan. The oil should sizzle, if it doesn’t it’s not hot enough!
- Cook for 4 minutes, or until your tofu is nicely browned.
- Flip each piece and cook for another 4 minutes, or until browned.
Salt & Pepper Tofu
Perfect for dipping, adding to stir-fries, or added to soup.
Follow directions from above using tofu that hasn’t been marinated, sprinkle each side with salt and pepper before flipping.
Soy Sauce Tofu
This is my go to, quick and easy tofu for stir-fries, chilled to top salads, or in sandwiches.
Follow directions above. Once tofu is fully browned, add a few of good dashes of soy sauce, and flick your skillet to evenly coat all of the tofu. Give the tofu a minute or so to fully absorb the soy sauce.
For maximum flavour, I suggest that you marinate your tofu prior to baking and make sure you don’t cut it too large!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 block of tofu, drained, cut up, and marinated
- a cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- a flipper or tongs
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- On a cookie sheet fitted with a piece of parchment paper, lay out your tofu. Reserve any leftover marinade.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and spoon some of the remaining marinade over the tofu. Return to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Easy Alternate Ways to Prepare Tofu
- Crumble tofu, and saute with vegetables in a little extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Great for tomato sauces and chili.
- Make a Tofu Scramble for breakfast, serve with whole grain toast and some fresh fruit.
- Turn a tofu scramble into a delicious Breakfast Wrap, perfect to take on the go!
- Cube plain tofu and add to a simple broth soup, or make our Tofu Noodle Soup.