A hot bowl of tofu noodle soup hits the spot when you’re feeling under the weather. Quick and easy to prepare.
- 1–2 tbsp (15–30 ml) olive oil, divided
- 1 350g block extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot (approximately 1 carrot)
- 1/2 cup sliced celery (approximately 1 rib)
- 1 cup (40 grams) kale, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms (approximately 5 mushrooms)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) ground ginger
- 6 cups (1500 ml) vegetable broth
- ½ cup (50 grams) frozen peas
- 2 cups (170 grams) uncooked pasta (fusili, farfalle, etc.)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, pour soy sauce over cubed tofu. Mix gently until the tofu absorbs the soy sauce.
- Heat 1/2 of the olive oil in saucepan over medium-high heat, add tofu and sauté until evenly browned on all (or most) sides.
- Move the tofu to one side of the pan. Add remaining olive oil and add minced garlic. Cook for 1 minute, do not brown. Add carrot, celery, kale, mushrooms, and ground ginger. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and simmer for another 3-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Keep pasta and soup separate until ready to serve. Divide cooked pasta into bowls and top with hot soup.
Storing leftovers: Store leftover pasta and soup separately. Combine just before serving.
Keywords: tofu soup, tofu noodle soup, tofu soup recipe