I am very very VERY excited to share this recipe with you today.
I’ve had this idea for a veganized 7 layer dip floating around in my head for what feels like FOREVER and I’ve been itching to get to work on this recipe and blog post for ages.
Every element of this dip is delicious on it’s own (hello guacamole!) but when they’re all combined it’s like pure flavour MAGIC.
Side note: Please, do yourself a favour and eat this stuff with some loaded vegan nachos. You will NOT regret it. (You’re welcome!)
Did I mention that this 7 layer dip is healthy too? Because it certainly is!
Refried beans are traditionally made with lard, but these “refried” beans are made with very little added fat at all. I replaced the excess fat with a small amount of coconut oil + vegetable broth for a creamy texture and loads of flavour.
For an extra hit of fibre and protein, we’ve swapped out the high fat dairy sour cream in favour of vegan-friendly hummus. Seriously, who needs sour cream when you’ve got the avocados, the KINGS of plant-based creaminess? Homemade guacamole is all you need, I promise!
This dip is LOADED with nutrient rich ingredients like cholesterol lowering beans and heart healthy avocados. Pair this vegan 7 layer dip with some organic corn tortilla chips and you’ve got yourself a super easy and nutritious snack! (I LOVE Que Pasa’s lightly salted chips)
Okay now, let’s take a look at those delectable layers, we’ve got: 1) Chunky and flavourful “refried” beans. 2) Creamy guacamole. 3) Zingy tomato salsa. 4) Roasted garlic hummus. 5) Loads of vegan cheese. 6 & 7) Fresh chopped tomatoes and green onion.
Are you hungry yet?
There are TONS of ways to use this vegan 7 layer dip. You can enjoy this for snacking, easy meals, or entertaining. So far we’ve LOVED eating spoonfuls of this stuff with vegan nachos and burritos, but you can use it however you like! Make this vegan 7 layer dip for:
- delicious game day snacking (Grey Cup!)
- taking to holiday parties and potlucks
- plain and simple snacking with tortilla chips
- an all-in-one dip for vegan nachos
- pairing with burritos, enchiladas, tacos, or quesadillas
- packed lunches (scoop a small amount into a container or make personal sized dips!)
Vegan 7 Layer Dip
Yield 4 cups
1) Chunky and flavourful "refried" beans. 2) Creamy guacamole. 3) Zingy tomato salsa. 4) Roasted garlic hummus. 5) Loads of vegan cheese. 6 & 7) Fresh chopped tomatoes and green onion. Are you hungry yet? (For best results, read the recipe notes before making this dish.)
- 4 perfectly ripe avocados, mashed
- 1 small vine-ripened tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely diced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp salt (taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary)
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced (optional - refer to notes)
- cilantro (optional)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- salt, to taste
- Other layers:
- Hummus (make your own or use store bought, we love Fontaine Santé Roasted Garlic Hummus)
- Salsa (Choose your favourite)
- 1/2 cup Daiya Cheddar Shreds
- 1-2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- Heat 1/2 tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic, stir and cook for 15-30 seconds. Add the drained black beans and cook until most of them soften and burst, about 2-3 minutes. Add the chili powder and lime juice. Use a potato masher or fork to mash approximately half of the beans before adding the vegetable broth. Finish mashing the beans to your desired consistency. Simmer until thick.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary. Because the salt content of different brands of vegetable broth can vary, pay attention to the amount of salt you add. Make sure the refried beans are delicious all my themselves!
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado but leave the mixture a little bit chunky.
- Add the chopped tomato, red onion, jalapeño, lime juice, salt, and cilantro. Mix to combine.
- Taste and adjust the salt and seasonings to suit your preferance. Make sure the guacamole is delicious all by itself!
Assemble the dip
- This dip is best served in a glass bowl or dish to show off the layers (I made mine in a round 4 cup pyrex container.) In a 6-9" serving dish, first layer the refried beans, followed by the guacamole, (optional: add a thick layer of Daiya cheese), then the salsa, and then the hummus. Top with a generous sprinkle of chopped tomato, green onion, and Daiya Cheddar Shreds.
Preparation and serving:As long as the guacamole isn't exposed to air, you can make this dip 1-2 days ahead of time.For parties or lunches you can make personal sized dips in small food storage containers or plastic cups.Flavour preferences:While I quite like the raw red onion in the guacamole, William preferred it without red onion and cilantro. If you'd like a mellower red onion flavour you can use these tips from The Kitchn (the comments are also helpful) or half the amount used in the recipe. Green onion would be a nice option too!William preferred this dip with a thick layer of Daiya shreds in between the guacamole and the salsa.It's really important that every element/layer is delicious on it's own so make sure to adequately season/salt the refried beans and guacamole.
Courses Appetizer, Dip
Cuisine Vegan, Tex-Mex