Let’s talk about vegan breakfasts! For a girl who loves breakfast, there are no where near enough breakfast recipes up on I Love Vegan. Shall we get to work on that? Let’s!
We’re gonna kick things off with a hearty, nutritious, all-in-one recipe: a healthy Tex-Mex-inspired breakfast hash, complete with scrambled tofu, potassium-rich Creamer potatoes, tons of colourful peppers, kale, and black beans.
Use your favourite veggies, mess around with the “scramble sauce” ingredients, or serve it in a breakfast burrito (did that with taco sauce, avo, and lettuce, and I was a happy camper!) Or just switch it up depending on what you have on hand at the time.
This is a truly powerful breakfast. It’s ridiculously high in protein and fibre (over 20g of protein for 1/4 of the recipe!) and loaded with great plant-based powerhouses (nutritional yeast! tofu! beans! vegetables!)
As usual, I’m using Little Potatoes, (Baby Boomers to be exact!) but you can feel free to use pretty much any varietal from The Little Potato Company. Blushing Belles, Dynamic Duo, or Terrific Trio would all be some tasty and colourful options. PS: Speaking of the Little Potato Company, they recently turned one of my appetizer recipes into a VIDEO! How cool is that? The idea of making videos freaks me out (My voice will sound stupid! I’ll look weird! My kitchen isn’t fancy enough!) so it’s pretty neat to see one of my recipes being made right before my eyes, on the internet! Wanna check out the video?
I hope you enjoy this nutritious breakfast recipe and keep your eyes peeled for some new ones coming up soon (a vegan benedict and freezer-friendly vegan breakfast sandwiches, yum!) Enjoy!
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes SO much at littlepotatoes.com or check them out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube.Print
A hearty Tex-Mex Veggie Hash, loaded with scrambled tofu, black beans, peppers, Creamer potatoes and kale. Packed with protein!
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups Baby Boomers, chopped (half of a 1.5 lb bag)
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup mixed red, green, orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups kale, destemmed and chopped
- 2/3 cup black beans
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 350g block extra-firm tofu, coarsely crumbled
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Kala Namak black salt, fine ground
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- avocado (optional)
- Pierce potatoes once. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly before chopping into small pieces.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, red onion, bell pepper, garlic, and kale. Once vegetables are nearly tender, add black beans. Sprinkle with salt and 1 tsp chili powder. Cook until potatoes are tender. Set vegetables aside and wipe out your skillet.
- Tear tofu into varying sized crumbles (refer to ingredient picture for approximate size.)
- Combine all nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Kala Namak, turmeric, and water in a small bowl.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring often, until slightly golden on some sides (optional). Pour sauce over tofu and stir until absorbed. Add vegan cheese if desired, stir until melted.
- Add veggies back to the pan, stir and heat through.
- Serve topped with fresh avocado.
Kala Namak – Feel free to substitute with regular salt. You may need to use more salt (up to 1 tsp) as Kala Namak is very finely ground.Scramble Tip – Adding vegan cheese helps the scramble bind together which is especially useful if the tofu is crumbled very fine.Serving – Serve topped with avocado and a side of toast, sandwich it in an English muffin, or wrap it up with avocado, salsa, tomato and lettuce in a taco or burrito.