This vegan pie crust is flavourful, flaky, and made with vegan butter. It's perfect for making sweet and savoury pies.
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) vegan butter (Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- 4-8 tbsp (60-120 ml) ice water
Before you get started, chill all ingredients and tools.
- Mix the flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cut the chilled vegan butter into the flour using a pastry blender or fork until the fat is in small pieces.
- Slowly add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, while gently mixing with a fork. Keep adding the water and stirring until the vegan pie dough starts to clump together on it’s own. The dough should look crumbly, but hold together. The dough shouldn’t be wet or sticky.
- On your countertop, lay out a piece of plastic wrap (I use 2, laid out in a cross shape.) Dump the crumbly vegan pie dough in the center of the plastic wrap. Very tightly wrap the dough into a flat disk so that the dough doesn’t appear crumbly at all. Refrigerate for 2 hours before rolling out.
- After chilling the dough, unwrap it and place it on a liberally floured surface. Start rolling from the center of the dough, out to the edges. Roll out the pie dough in different directions to achieve a roughly circular shape.
- Roll out the dough until the dough is at least 2 inches larger than your pie plate. Gently lift the pie dough from your work surface using your metal spatula, and transfer it to your pie plate.
- Making sure the dough lays flush with your pie plate, all the way into the corners. Leave 1 inch (2.5 cm) of excess for folding and fluting the edges, and cut away the rest.
- Use your fingers to gently mend any cracks by lightly pinching and massaging them to smooth them out.
- Slowly and gently fold the excess dough under itself to make a smooth, clean edge, folded on the lip of your pie plate.
- Use the thumb and index finger of your dominant hand and the thumb of your non-dominant hand to pinch/flute the edge of your pie crust. Use a fork to pierce holes in the bottom of the crust.
- Chill or freeze your pie crust until ready to use.
Refer to blog post for additional recipe notes and tips.
Keywords: vegan pie crust, vegan pie dough