These are truly PERFECT vegan gingerbread cookies! The dough rolls out like a dream, they're perfectly spiced, and not too sweet. Whether you prefer your gingerbread soft and chewy or crisp and snappy, this is the recipe for you!
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp evaporated cane sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup fancy molasses (blackstrap is not recommended)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil and the sugar. Beat for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is nice and light. Add the water, molasses and vanilla, beat for another 30 seconds to mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar mixture, beating to combine.
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or for at least 2 hours)
- Before rolling, let the dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Roll the dough directly onto parchment paper. (Read our baking tips above for perfectly rolled cookies.) The dough should be 1/4" thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out the dough, use a flat spatula to gently remove the excess dough. Keep re-rolling and cutting out the dough until it's all used up.
- Pop the unbaked cookies into the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges and barely firm in the center.
- Let them cool completely before decorating. Store them in an airtight container for a perfectly soft chewy molasses cookie texture. Alternatively, you can store them with a little bit of air ventilation for a lightly crisp, snappy gingerbread cookies.
With the dough rolled out to 1/4", this recipe makes about 12 large cookies (approx. 3"x4") or 24 smaller cookies (approx 2"x2.5"). We made 15 cookies, 9 large and 6 small.
Keywords: vegan gingerbread cookies, vegan ginger cookies