This hearty vegan stew is full of protein-rich tofu, Fingerling potatoes, vegetables and savoury broth. Use the pressure cooking function on your Instant Pot for a complete one-pot meal that’s ready in 1 hour or less. This hearty vegan stew is perfect for chilly autumn nights. Serve with crusty bread slathered with vegan butter or homemade vegan biscuits.
- 3 tbsp/45ml olive oil
- 1 block (350g) extra-firm tofu, cubed
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- ½ cup/125ml (100g) chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
- 1 ½ cups/375ml (200g) chopped carrots (4 carrots)
- 1 ½ cups (185g) chopped celery (3 ribs celery)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 1.5lb bag (680g) of The Little Potato Company’s Fingerling potatoes
- ½ cup/125ml (75g) unbleached flour
- 6 cups/1500ml vegetable broth
- 1 cup/250ml water
- 3 tbsp/45ml tomato paste
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 cup/250ml (140g) frozen peas
- With the lid off, turn Instant Pot on to “Sauté” and choose the “Normal” heat level. Add the olive oil. Once the Instant Pot is preheated, add the cubed tofu. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tofu is crisp and golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and stir, cooking until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the Fingerling potatoes, vegetable broth, water, tomato paste, and thyme. Stir well.
- Securely close the lid on your Instant Pot and turn it on to “Manual” or “Pressure Cook”. Set timer for 15 minutes.
- Once finished, release the pressure (following Instant Pot instructions) and open the lid when safe to do so.
- Add the frozen peas and stir. With the lid off, use the “Sauté” functions set to a heat level of “More” or “High” and reduce the stew to your preferred thickness, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
To lower the sodium content, choose an unsalted vegetable broth and season to taste with salt. You can also choose a low-sodium soy sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 152
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 880.2 mg
- Fat: 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.5 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 5.9 g
- Cholesterol: 2.7 mg