This green smoothie is the perfect morning pick-me-up to get the day started off right. The mix of natural sugars, vitamins, and minerals from the banana + mango + spinach combo really help to perk you up while the healthy fats and protein from the pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts keep you feeling satiated.
- 1 cup (250 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ripe banana, frozen
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped mango, frozen
- 1–2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pumpkin seeds (pepita seeds)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) hemp hearts (hulled hemp seeds)
- optional: 1/2 scoop (approx. 30ml) vanilla protein powder + 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- In a blender (or large tumbler if you’re using an immersion blender) layer the spinach, banana, mango, pumpkin seeds, and hemp hearts. Add the almond milk and blend until the pumpkin seeds are really really smooth. This recipe makes 1 large smoothie (2 cups – 500ml).
For a nut free option, substitute the almond milk with a certified nut free oat milk, rice milk, hemp milk, soy milk, or coconut milk.For a higher protein option: Add a scoop of your favourite vanilla protein powder and/or substitute the almond milk with a high protein non-dairy milk such as soy or hemp milk. This smoothie contains approx. 13g of protein when made with almond milk, substituting it with soy milk will add an additional 6g of protein. Adding protein powder will add about 6-15g of protein (depending on the brand and amount of protein powder you use.)To make a variation of this smoothie without banana, substitute the banana with 2/3 cup of frozen mango or frozen peaches.