Irresistibly rich and fudgy vegan brownies.
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 180g chopped vegan dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (the juice from a can of "no salt added" chickpeas)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp golden brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp espresso or strong black coffee
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 50g dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 8"x 8"pan with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, beat the aquafaba and brown sugar on high until it becomes thick, shiny, and voluminous.
- In a double boiler over medium heat, combine the chocolate and coconut oil. Stir until completely melted and set aside to cool. (For quicker cooling, place the bowl in an ice bath and stir constantly until the chocolate is no longer warm.)
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, sea salt and baking soda.
- Gently mix the cooled, melted chocolate into whipped aquafaba/sugar mixture, followed by the espresso, and then the dry ingredients. Add the walnuts and chocolate chips. Stir slowly until the batter is thick and well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Optional: Top with extra chopped walnuts.
- Magic Shell: Melt coconut oil and dark chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.
Choose refined (or the cheapest) coconut oil if you don't want your brownies to taste like coconut. High quality, organic coconut oils taste stronger.