Coconut Curry with Tofu & Brown Rice
Golden-brown tofu and mixed vegetables in a spicy coconut curry sauce. This dish is delicious served with brown rice or noodles.
- 1 block firm tofu, chopped into squares
- 4 tsp canola or olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup kale (packed), destemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots (about 2 medium carrots), chopped
- 1/2 cup green and/or red pepper (about 1 pepper), chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp chile garlic sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup dry red lentils, split (optional)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, finely chopped
- juice of 1/4 lime
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice (or more)
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown the tofu, stirring frequently until it's evenly golden-brown. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tsp oil and sauté the onion and vegetables (minus the kale) until they're just barely tender. Set aside.
- Add another 1 tsp of oil to the skillet and add the garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili flakes (optional), chile garlic sauce, and salt. Cook for about 1 minute or until garlic is translucent.
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, tofu, veggies, and kale.
- If you prefer a curry with plenty of broth simply simmer the curry for 5-10 minutes. If you'd prefer a thicker curry with less broth add 1/4 cup of split red lentils before simmering for 5-10 minutes.
- After simmering add the lime juice and basil. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Let sit for 3-5 minutes before serving with brown rice.
You can use whichever vegetables you prefer. I love using different combinations of peppers, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, kale, spinach, etc. Whichever vegetables you choose, aim to include approx. 3-4 cups of raw veggies.Optional: Garnish with lime zest.
Courses Lunch & Dinner, Main Course
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 54 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Unsaturated Fat 37 g
Sodium 1229 mg
Total Carbohydrates 132 g
Dietary Fiber 20 g
Sugars 18 g
Protein 70 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.