Almond Crusted Tofu
Yield 4 servings
If stir-frying is your go-to method of cooking tofu, it's time to switch it up and try this delicately flavoured, crispy-crunchy method of preparing tofu. Amazing dipped in your favourite sauces!
- 1 block of firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into triangle steaks
- 1/8 cup warm water
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped very fine (or processed to a coarse crumb)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 water
- about 5 tbsp canola oil for frying
- Drain and press tofu. Cut into triangle steaks - cut block in half horizontally, and then in half vertically, cut each square in half diagonally. This should give you 8 large triangles of tofu.
- Mix together water, soy sauce, minced garlic, and lemon juice. In a shallow dish, marinate the tofu for 1-2 hours.
- Line up 3 shallow bowls or dishes. Put flour in the first, water in the second, and mix together the chopped almonds, corn starch, and salt in the third.
- After you have marinated your tofu for a full hour or more, dab off any excess marinade with paper towel or a clean kitchen towel.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat about 5 tbsp of vegetable oil over medium-high. You need enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet with a thin layer.
- Grab yourself a plate to place your coated tofu before frying.
- Using your dominant hand, take one piece of tofu at a time, coat it in the first flour mixture. Quickly dip it in the water, and coat it in the almond mixture. Place on your plate.
- After each piece is coated, put them all into your heated skillet. Flip them after a couple of minutes, or once they're a golden brown. After both sides are browned, place them on their edges, and brown all three sides.
- Drain any excess oil on a layer of paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Enjoy!
Courses Lunch & Dinner, Side, Tofu
Serving Size 4
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Unsaturated Fat 11 g
Sodium 237 mg
Total Carbohydrates 25 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 16 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.