The Best Healthy Vegan Pancakes
Vegan or not, these light and fluffy pancakes are the best pancakes I've eaten. Makes about 6-7 medium sized pancakes.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, sifted (or sub 1/2 for all-purpose)
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup soy or almond milk
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar (optional: increase to 2 tbsp if using unsweetened almond/soy milk)
- Preheat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- To keep your pancakes warm as you're cooking, preheat your oven to low heat and then turn it off.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together the vanilla extract, milk, coconut oil and sugar in a smaller bowl. Depending on the temperature of your ingredients, the coconut oil may harden when mixed with the milk- simply pop the liquid ingredients in the microwave for a minute to fix this.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Whisk quickly, making sure not to over-mix (20 seconds of mixing should be more than enough). Don't worry if there are lumps in the batter. Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes.
- To ensure even cooking, cook each pancake one by one. Spoon 1/4 cup of the batter onto your preheated pan. Cook the first side for about 1-2 minutes - until bubbles begin to form around the outer portion of the pancake. Always flip the pancake before dry spots begin to form on the tops of your pancakes.
- Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Store the cooked pancakes in a single layer on the racks in your warm oven - this will keep them warm but not soggy.
- Continue cooking the pancakes, one at a time until all of the batter is used up.
Serve with your choice of maple syrup, fresh fruit, preserves, Earth Balance, and nut butters.
Serving Size 4
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Unsaturated Fat 7 g
Sodium 92 mg
Total Carbohydrates 82 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 22 g
Protein 10 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.