Spinach, Avocado and Marinated Tofu Salad
This is one of my favourite salad recipes because it's so simple, delicious, and hearty. Add 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice for more sustenance. You can use a simple soy sauce and sesame oil dressing or use a store bought dressing of your choice.
- 1/2 block firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into small squares (This is enough tofu for 2 salads - you can save leftovers for another salad or stir-fry)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp sriracha (more or less to your preference)
- a drizzle of sesame oil ( approx. 1 tsp)
- In a shallow dish, mix together all of the marinade ingredients. Add the tofu, mix, and store in the fridge. The tofu should be allowed to marinate for at least an hour. The longer you marinate, the more flavourful the tofu will become. For tips on pressing and marinating tofu, read the 4 Part Tofu Tutorial. After your tofu has marinated, heat about 1-2 tsp of oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add your cubes of tofu and cook until golden brown on all sides. Once browned, set aside. You can now choose whether to top your salad with hot tofu or chilled tofu.
I've made plenty of variations of this salad, and you should feel free to play with whatever vegetables you have on hand. I find the combination of spinach, avocado, and marinated tofu to be really delicious, and unless you really don't like avocado I'd make sure to include it in the recipe. Using soy sauce and sesame oil is a really tasty dressing that's cheap and easy but you could easily use any kind of Thai or Asian-style store-bought dressing instead (I've also used a store bought balsamic vinaigrette and it tastes wonderful!)
Courses Lunch & Dinner, Main Course, Salad
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 44 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Unsaturated Fat 34 g
Sodium 2216 mg
Total Carbohydrates 123 g
Dietary Fiber 31 g
Sugars 35 g
Protein 58 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.