Ready to go from Summer to Fall in 60 seconds? Start making this oatmeal ASAP and you’ll be welcoming Fall into your home in no time at all.
Apple season is on the way. I’m starting to crave heartier breakfasts (and hot coffee is now a must!) The morning and evening air has that familiar crispness that says fall is here. Yep, the best part of the year has arrived.
This spiced apple oatmeal is full of chunky apple bits, raisins, pecans, and flax seeds. When made according to recipe, the sweetness is mild (less apple pie oatmeal, more nourishing breakfast bowl) thanks to a sweet blend of molasses and brown sugar.
The toppings are where things get fun. To keep it simple (using ingredients mostly found in the bowl), I recommend thin-sliced apple, roughly chopped pecans, raisins, pumpkin seeds, a sprinkle of granola, a drizzle of molasses, and a hefty splash of cold vanilla almond milk. For something a little fancier (or to push this bowl into dessert territory), I’d recommend a dollop of coconut whip and a generous drizzle of pure maple syrup (or brown sugar because this is totally brown sugar territory.) (PS: My favourite vegan brown sugar is from Red Path – it’s super affordable and bone-char free!)
This recipe calls for large flake oats. Large flake oats cook slower than instant or quick oats but faster than steel-cut. They make for a nicely separated, slightly chewy bowl of oatmeal. If you make this with quick or instant oats it’ll be a thicker, porridge consistency.
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- ½ cup chopped apple (approx. ½ small apple)
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ cups water
- ¾ cup large flake oats
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp Thompson raisins
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- splash almond milk
- splash vanilla almond milk
- molasses and/or brown sugar
- fresh apple slices
- pumpkin seeds (optional)
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the apple and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the pecans, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add the oats and a pinch of salt. Turn heat down to medium and simmer until oats begin to thicken up.
- Add the ground flax seed (this will help thicken the oatmeal), raisins, brown sugar, and a splash of almond milk. Cook until thick.
- Serve in a bowl topped with a generous amount of vanilla almond milk, a sprinkle each of brown sugar, pecans, raisins, granola, (and pumpkin seeds - optional), fresh apple slices, and a drizzle of molasses.